Daycare Diaries

Maci Backpack

I am lucky enough to stay home with my daughter, who is about to turn 2 this weekend. I mentioned starting her in part-time “school” (daycare) to my husband and he outright refused. He didn’t think it was time and did not want the added expense. Well, about 3 weeks later I nearly had a melt down after my daughter threw another fit at KidCare at the gym and I lost a second session with my trainer because they called me to take her out before I was even with him for 5 minutes. At this time, my husband was still overseas and I told him I was over it, and we needed to enroll her. I think he felt my pain and agreed after I explained my issues. It’s not only because of the gym. She needs the socialization and learning experience of playing with kids her own age. Not to mention working on her separation anxiety!

I had already thought out how I was going to go about talking to the Elementary school about her skin condition, but I hadn’t thought about talking to a daycare, we weren’t going to enroll her. Well, I knew I had to tell them, so I called to make sure the director would be there, and the day before she started I went by to talk to the director and buy her a couple of school shirts. As much information as I know and can tell people, even strangers about her condition, when I began to talk to her director about it I lost all of my words! I couldn’t believe how hard it was and how nervous I was going to be! Luckily the National Psoriasis Foundation website has GREAT resources just for these occasions, so I had a “parent” information sheet in hand to give to her as well as me explaining it to her. She was so accepting of the information and gladly passed it along to my daughters teacher for me.

So it begins, day 1. I assumed I would be strong and my daughter would be a mess. I was right, but only to a certain degree. My daughter was screaming and crying and had no idea why I was leaving her. It broke my heart walking away knowing she was being picked up off the floor by a stranger while she saw me leaving her. I felt like I was doing something wrong. I did not cry, but I had that lump in the back of my throat like I could cry. I hurried home to relax before my gym appointment. I couldn’t take it. I had to call and make sure she was okay. The director happened to answer the phone and told me she was fine. It had been over an hour before I called. She said she personally went back, bribed her with some goldfish and she stopped crying and ate the snack, and eventually started to play with the other kids. Time CRAWLED by that day and I wanted to go get her SO badly! FINALLY 2:30 rolled around, that’s when they wake them from their naptime. Well, my kid was the only one still asleep when I got there. It was so cute! I tried to let the teacher wake her, but she barely stirred. I went over and said quietly “Hey baby, mommy’s back” and before I could finish she popped up off that cot so fast and jumped into my arms. I was in heaven.

Days 2-5 are now complete and it’s only a little bit easier for her at drop off, she still cries when I leave. She is only going two times a week, so it will take a while for her to want to stay…I assume. She is now participating in the curriculum and playing with the other kids. She isn’t fighting naptime anymore, but I have been told that she will NOT lie down without her sippy cup. She doesn’t drink it, but holds it. I guess that is her security thing rather than a blanket or toy. I told the teacher to try and work on taking it from her, but since she doesn’t do that at home, I don’t mind. The days fly by now and before I know it, it is time to go get her. I LOVE being able to go to the gym, the grocery store and the bathroom by myself 2 days a week. I miss her SO much while she is gone, but I can already tell that it is helping her. She was nothing but a chatterbox after we picked her up today! It was adorable! The teacher said she is talking to the other kids, playing and eating too. Drop off is the hardest part, but I know in time she will be okay.

I am so glad we decided to take this step not only for her, but also for me. SAHM’s need a break too. It is unbelievable the amount of stress that has been lifted from my shoulders just taking her to daycare for a few hours a week. Being home alone with her and in a home full of needy animals for 6 weeks at a time is stressful. I didn’t realize just how much we both truly needed this. It has also helped my husband and I work on house things together since he returned home, instead of him working and me inside with the baby. We actually got to spend time together…even if it was outside painting in the horrid Florida heat. =)


The Not-So-Single Mom

Get more MOMentous Motherhood in your inbox

Subscribe to our mailing list for FREE Printables, Funny & touching stories, Tasty recipes & Amazing products, hard to find anywhere else!

New Limited Edition Prints! Take an extra $20 off your first month's diaper & wipes bundle. Valid through 5/1.728x90


  1. […] post is to follow up on my original “Daycare Diaries” post.  So, if you have not read the first one please click HERE to check it […]

  2. […] you haven’t read them, take a peak at my two previous posts about daycare and the progress we were making, or thought we […]

Leave a Reply


CommentLuv badge

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.