Our Day of Firsts

August 1 marked the day of new beginnings. Not only was it the first day of the month, but it was also my first day at my new job, as well as Monkey’s first day at daycare. There has been so much anticipation leading up to this day, as well as many different emotions. The night before, I laid out clothes, packed lunches and set an alarm. The last thing I wanted to happen was to be rushed or even worse be late to my first day of work.

The past 14 months, I was lucky enough to work from home, which allowed me to keep Monkey at home with me. I loved being able to spend all day with him, while I worked hard. However, that all changed when I was laid off from my job. I know that having Monkey in daycare would be extremely beneficial for him.



At 6:45 AM, the alarm went off and I quickly jumped out of bed to hop in the shower. My first day of work outfit consisted of a black pencil skirt, with an orange crepe top, all courtesy of Target! I never like to spend a lot of money on clothes, so Target, Old Navy, and Kohls are my go-to stores to shop for clothes. 7 o’clock rolled around and it was time to wake Monkey up. He was not used to waking up that early, so everything was new to him, as well.

Daddy decided to join us at drop off, as it was Monkey’s first day of daycare. I was scared, nervous, upset, and anxious. I did not know how Monkey would do with being away from me all day. Mind you the longest we have ever been apart was 2 hours, and Daddy watched him!

When we arrived at daycare, we were greeted by the daycare director and Monkey’s teacher. We put everything away and walked him to his other classroom, where he would be until his teacher arrived at 8:30. My eyes immediately filled with tears, as I did not want to leave my baby boy.

The worst part was hearing his sweet cry when we walked out of the room. He kept reaching towards me, but I knew I could not turn around to console him. Quickly I walked to my car, where I sat for a few minutes balling my eyes out. I knew I had to compose myself, as it was time for me to start my new job. I did not want to show up on the first day crying like a baby, but how could I not cry, I just left my baby with strangers!

My first day at work consisted of training, learning the company, filling out W-4 paperwork, etc. I kept looking at the clock, as I could not wait until 4:30 when I could go pick up my baby boy. It was hard for me to focus on work, as I kept wondering how Monkey was doing.

At 10:30, I had a missed phone call from daycare saying that I needed to pick Monkey up! It appears that he bit another child on the ear, which broke the skin. Daycare policy is that if a child bites another child and breaks the skin, the biter must go home for the remainder of the day. My heart raced because I could not believe what I heard on the voicemail. I explained to my boss the situation and left to go pick up Monkey.

In the parking lot, I was greeted by the mother of the child, who Monkey bit. Come to find out, it was also his first day of daycare. I was completely mortified! I know Monkey didn’t bite the child on purpose, he was nervous, scared and didn’t know how else to react.

When I walk into the classroom, the teacher is tending to the bitten child, while Monkey is sitting on the floor tears running down his face. He was visibly upset and just wanted his mommy. I had no choice, but to take Monkey back to work with me, until Daddy could come get him.

I thought for sure I would be fired from my job, as I had to leave abruptly after 2 ½ hours and then had to bring my 14-month-old son back to the office. Thankfully, my boss and president of the company were completely understanding of my situation. After one hour, daddy showed up and took Monkey home for the day.

Throughout the day, I kept thinking about Monkey and how traumatized he was, in addition to the poor child he bit. I could not believe what happened. Friends and family were making jokes, calling Monkey “Mike Tyson”, since Monkey bit on the ear, but I was mortified about the situation.


The memory of Monkey’s first day of daycare will be something that I will never forget. I made sure Monkey will not forget either, as I wrote an entry about it in his baby book.

Kudos to all those working mommies and daddies too, who have to leave their child at daycare all day. It is very hard, but you appreciate the time you have with your child that much more. I am thankful that Monkey attends a wonderful daycare, with great teachers.

Kay – The Rookie Mom

Get more MOMentous Motherhood in your inbox

Subscribe to our mailing list for FREE Printables, Funny & touching stories, Tasty recipes & Amazing products, hard to find anywhere else!

One Comment

  • Anonymous

    I will never forget when you told us that he was sent home after 2 hours! I couldn’t believe that my sweet grandson was being kicked out !!!!! We started calling him the “Little Savage”! I love you all very much!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

CommentLuv badge

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Get more MOMentous Motherhood
in your inbox

Subscribe to our mailing list for FREE Printables, Funny & touching stories, Tasty recipes & Amazing products, hard to find anywhere else!