It is quickly coming up on that time of year again. The one where your house is opening up and it is time for spring cleaning. Time to clean, clean, clean! Now if you are anything like me chances are that you keep your home pretty clean on a regular basis. You have weekly chores like clean the bathrooms, the floors, laundry, dishes etc. That is great but there are times your house needs a deeper clean, right! I chose to do it at the beginning of spring and the beginning of fall.
As big of a pain as it can be there are plenty of pluses to cleaning away. If you have a baby you need to make sure things are clean, truly clean. Their little systems are so sensitive to dust and allergens. If you find that your family is getting sick more often than usual the dirt and dust around the house could be to blame. Your body might be working harder to filter out the yuck. In the end, it is healthier for the entire family.
Here are just a couple of places you may not think about cleaning on the regular but desperately need a refresher now and then.
- How long as it been since you changed out those air filters? Clean the grates while you are at it. If you want a REALLY deep clean consider hiring a company to come in a clean the ducts.
- Think about your food. How long has it been since tackling that fridge? Sure you may clean the food particles you see on a daily basis but what about the coils or grates on the bottom. What about the top of it? Mine is notorious for harboring dust. Take out the drawers and make sure they sparkle.
- Where you sleep can be particularly bad. Every night you lie your head on pillows that may not have been washed in years, if ever. Yes, you can absolutely wash pillows! Get duvets and comforters dry cleaned. While you are at it make sure you clean that mattress. Vacuum it and flip if it is a flip-able mattress. Your back will thank you.
- Tackle that bathroom. Now I am not talking about cleaning the sinks and toilets, although that should be done too. I am talking about things like under the sinks, in the drawers, and of course, the bathmats! You need to wash those on the regular. They get wet every day. Even though they dry mold can still grow.
- The playroom. I never knew kids toys could get so gross. Between the dirt, dust and sticky stuff that magically ends up on every toy, the inside can be gross too! You need to remember to check any toys which have squeaky holes. Water gets in there and those toys are done. Mold LOVES the inside of those. Change them regularly. If you child loves a particular toy, consider closing the hole with super glue. Launder the plushies at least once a month.
- What about your cleaning tools themselves? Sure you empty the vacuum but there is more to it. How often do you scrub that vacuum? What about changing the filter? The first time I saw my husband vacuuming our vacuum I thought he lost his mind but it makes sense. It needs cleaning too.
Bacteria grows in some odd places. In the end, it is healthier for the entire family.
Execution is Key!
If you have never done a full house cleaning it can seem like quite a chore. Don’t let this thought discourage you. With a little bit of planning it can be a breeze. Today I will share with you the secret planning sheet that I use every Fall and Spring to make sure I get every nook and cranny. Feel free to print it out and download here!
Talking time, I prefer to take a week a do it all but not everyone has that kind of time. When we are in cleaning mode that is what we do with all of our free time. For me, it is best to tackle it all at once. Get it over with and start the Spring off with a fresh clean house.
What are some of your best Spring cleaning tips and tricks?
Kristin, The Perfectionist Mom
Get more MOMentous Motherhood in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list for FREE Printables, Funny & touching stories, Tasty recipes & Amazing products, hard to find anywhere else!
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.